Monday, May 30, 2011

I still stalk my fiance on Facebook

I do.  And I have no shame.  He knows I do it.  He does it too - he just doesn't blog about it.  Actually, I've been told it's no longer stalking now that he is, in fact, my fiance.  I'm still going to refer to it as stalking since I believe it adds some sort of fun dynamic to our relationship.  So, I stalk my fiance on Facebook.  There's nothing there, he doesn't post anything exciting, but I stalk. 

Let me also tell you that he's one of the first to read these posts, so he is going to LOVE this intro. 

Last week was termed "Steph Week" at the Federation.  It was my last week employed...  I almost wrote "at the Federation" after "employed," but really, it doesn't matter since it's true regardless.  I am now... unemployed.  Before I talk about my unemployed future, I'll talk about my most recently employed week.

Monday wasn't anything special.  It was my last marketing meeting and my last supervision.  From the moment I began working at the Federation, I used both as platforms to talk about my feelings on a weekly basis.  My co-workers and supervisors always seemed invested in what I had to say.  Funny that the last time I had an audience, I didn't really have much to say.

Tuesday was my goodbye breakfast.  I told myself, and everyone, that I wasn't going to cry and I was fine.  Emily got up first to talk.  She kept it short and sweet so she wouldn't start crying.  Then Ellen spoke.  She also kept it short and sweet - no tears.  And then it was my turn.  Within the first few words, which I think were "I started working here when I was 22 as a professional staff member," I started crying.  I gave warning though.  I did say "Ok, I'm going to cry now" before I started.  I think most people appreciated the warning. 

Wednesday was my goodbye lunch.  A group of us went to Elbow Room for some grub.  As I was sitting there, I realized that Elbow Room was the first place that I went to on an outreach when I first started working at Federation.  Like everything else, it had to go full circle.

Thursday wasn't anything special, and then came Friday, my last day at work.  I was campaigning all week for a pajama day on Friday.  I thought I would give it a shot and even convinced people to join my campaign team.  Well, that didn't happen (no surprise there), but the next best thing happened... a jeans day.  I love jeans days.  Friday, I had my exit interview with the ceo, a last chance marketing meeting which ended in a song which made both me and marilyn cry, saying goodbye to those that wanted to say goodbye, and about 1.5 hrs of angry birds.  It was a great last day at work.  I couldn't have asked for a better last day.  I held it together too.  I didn't cry until I turned off my light.  The moment that it flicked off, I broke down.  

That brings me to now - the evening before the first day back to work after a three day weekend.  Everyone who has a job is dreading the return to work tomorrow.  I, on the other hand, am excited for tomorrow, when I will play with my nephew all day long.  I mean, why not?  He's cute and I have nothing time sensitive to do tomorrow.  So, I'm going to push everything off a day and I'm going to save Will and Shannon $30 by watching Holden tomorrow. 

Thought for the day:  Change is really hard.  Venturing away from familiarity is hard.  No one said that change is easy.  I'm moving across the country.  I have no job.  I HAVE NO JOB! I'm extremely nervous about not having a pay check.  Me being the rational individual that I am, I know that love and rainbows and pixie dust and fairies can't pay the bills.  They don't buy food and they don't make your car run... but, we'll make it work.

And, I'm beginning to understand that complacency is worse.  Where would I be in five years if Scott and I didn't make the decision to try something new?  Honestly, I can use the challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment