Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The person wearing the Steelers hat doesn't always want to be your friend

This may be the longest blog title known to man.  But, it's true.  The person wearing the Steelers hat doesn't always want to be your friend.  Do you know what that tells me?  That tells me that the person isn't actually from Pittsburgh.  Hearing that I am from Pittsburgh should generate some sort of interest in being my friend if you are, in fact, a Pittsburgher.  Seeing that you don't give a shit shows me that you are from California, pretending to be a Steelers fan.  LIAR!

But really, who am I kidding?  I lived in Pittsburgh for eight years and wasn't really a Steelers fan.  Yay Eagles!

Here's my problem:

Laguna Beach is a vacation spot made famous by the MTV reality show (I have never watched it, so I wouldn't know... *crickets*....)  Ok, Ok, you got me.  I re-watched the entire first season the first 3 days I moved here.  Like I was saying, so many people from all over the country (and world) come to California, specifically Laguna Beach, that it's hard not to spot someone on any given day wearing a Steelers tshirt or a Phillies hat. 

The good news is that I found a solution to preventing the urge of wanting to approach anyone wearing Pittsburgh or Philadelphia sports paraphernalia - get some of my own!  That way, interested parties would approach ME and I would engage in some friendly conversations and make friends.  I know many of you would suggest that I refrain from wearing my Eagles jersey, as that may cause some backlash and I agree.  The Eagles stuff stays inside 468 Third St. Apt B.

I've decided to put a rant about California in every blog post - something funny I've realized about the state of California or Orange County.  Below is today's.

As if the people weren't posh enough in the OC, California cars are too good for car washes at the local gas station.  Cars in California are taken to Car Spas.  I'm not even joking.  There is no such thing as a car wash.  Let's say I needed to give Harlem a bath.  In Pittsburgh, I would either go to the drive-thru car wash at the Exxon station at Forbes and McKee on my way home from work, go to the car wash at the Get-Go in Aspinwall or by Century 3, or go to the place with the hose in Wilkinsburg during daylight hours.  No such place like that in California exists - at least I haven't driven past one yet.  Scott went yesterday and he had to wait  40 minutes to have his car cleaned.  I told him I would appreciate the attention to detail but I could understand how annoying that would be if you were under strict time restraints.  Not only does it take 40 minutes, but it costs an arm and a leg.  Nothing in California is cheap.  NOTHING!

PS, I feel like I'm 16 again!  I have to take the written test at the California DMV to get a California license.  I'm going tomorrow.  Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment